Monday 5 November 2012

Review of 'Cadbury' Bournville Classic Dark Chocolate

*Cadbury -- Bournville Classic Dark Chocolate (vegan)
Overall rating: 4/5
Summary: holy hannah, this was divine. The flavour and texture was just perfect. I have absolutely no complaints. The chocolate was intense and sweet. It was like a milk chocolate bar in terms of the creamy, soft texture. It wasn't hard or chalky at all, like  most vegan dark chocolate bars. Of course, the many perks of this bar come at a price -- a super high sugar content, vegetable fats, and a pretty empty nutritional profile.
*The website lists another 'Bournville Classic Dark Chocolate' Slab so it doesn't represent the one I'm reviewing. It is a different size, however the ingredients are pretty much the same.

Where to buy: Bulk Barn


Ingredients: sugar, cocoa mass, vegetable fat, cocoa butter, emulsifier (soya lecithin). Cocoa solids 36% minimum contains vegetable fat in addition to cocoa butter.

Nutrition Information:
Serving size: 1 bar
Calories: 225
Total fat: 12g
     Saturated: 7g
     Trans: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 10mg
Potassium: 0mg
Total carbs: 27g
Protein: 2g

So, most vegetable fats are healthy, however they can also have trans fats. I'm not sure about this particular company's sourcing of this ingredient. Also the soya lecithin is potentially a genetically modified ingredient, since Cadbury hasn't committed to going GMO-free.

I totally don't care for Cadbury as a brand and so it's not likely that I'd buy this bar on a regular basis despite how DELICIOUS is it. I may have a moment of weakness if I find it on sale, just cause it's vegan and really, really decadent, sweet, and intensely chocolatey.

Honestly, if I were just rating based on taste, I'd rate this bar a 5/5! But...I am taking into account the ingredients and the brand, so I'd instead opt for a Camino chocolate bar (great brand that you can also find at Bulk Barn).

Also check out the recipe section of their website here.

Other slabs:
Brand: 
  • Not very impressive on the health front...at all.
  • No commitment to going GMO free

No comments:

Post a Comment